5/17/2006

Need Advice

Okay, ladies, this one's for you. I've just been christened maid of honor for my sister's upcoming wedding. Now, I've never been what you'd call a girly-girl & I don't know much about these things. Weddings, tea parties, any type of shower that doesn't involve water - I'm clueless.

I know I'm too old to have never been a bridesmaid but believe it, I haven't. My friends & I are somewhat eclectic so there have been lots of Vegas-type weddings & not a lot of tradition. I'm the oldest in my family out of all siblings, cousins, etc. so this is the first traditional wedding I've been a part of since I relinquished my flower girl duties at the age of 6.

A friend has suggested I purchase some book (MOH for Dummies, perhaps?). Do I need a book? The chances of me actually reading a work of non-fiction that doesn't feature foresnsics or serial killers is slim to none. Would this money be better spent toward the bachelorette party or is this the kind of undertaking for which I'll need a handbook? I want to be a really good MOH & make this very special for her . . . but needing a book just seems really dorky. Your thoughts please.

2 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 6:56 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

It's been over a decade since I've been in a wedding, let alone the MOH, so things may be different today. From what I recall, the MOH helps organize/plan the bridal shower and bachelorette party; possibly help pick out the dresses; during the ceremony she holds the bride's flowers, straightens out her dress, etc. Really the MOH is the "go to gal" for the bride.

I found a few websites that may be helpful (instead of a book):

http://www.bridesmaid101.com/maid_of_honor_duties.html

http://www.weddinggazette.com/content/002309.shtml

But most importantly - have fun!!

 
At 5/18/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Steph said...

Thanks, Michelle. I just really needed to hear someone say the book wasn't necessary. And I really want to do this right. She's my little sister!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home