5/23/2006

I Love Rock 'n Roll

Actually I love all kinds of music, but rock 'n roll has a special place in my heart. If you could peer into my music collection, you'd see everything from old Sun Studios stuff to Lakota Sioux spirituals. If you name a genre, I probably have at least a few things that fall into that category. I'm a total music freak, there's nothing else I can say.

My homemade cd's drive my friends nuts, because my eclectic tastes annoy the hell out of them. Some people just can't bear a segue from say, Whitesnake to Maroon 5 or Misfits to Ghetto Boyz. I think that my Wilco/Ozzy/Mary J. Blige + others disc would easily be voted worst mix ever, (think Comic Book Guy) by most people. Although I have had a lot of complaints about my 80's dance/rat pack disc . . . .

Yes, I've seen fit to put Bob Marley on the same CD with ELO because there're a bunch of songs I'd like to hear on my way to the airport & I'll just throw them all on one disc. What's the big deal? Blank cd's cost like a nickel a piece. I can afford to make whatever kind of mix I want. A very vocal critic, Mr. Steph has an unhealthy preoccupation with trying to understand this mindset which is just a waste of his time.

He also likes to make fun of me for making labels because apparently my handicap (anal-retentiveness) is hilarious to the unafflicted. However, karma's on my side because Mr. I-don't-need-no-stinkin-labels gives his cd's names like "Google-Eyed Jerk" & "Me Like Cookies", which tell you nothing (except that he's kind of odd) so he never knows what's on them. Hah!

But I digress. My point is, there's all kinds of awesome music & it totally rules your life. Who among us doesn't sit in traffic or stand in line & think about what the soundtrack would be if this day in your life was a movie? Music totally affects your emotions as well. You can be in a glorious mood, humming & smiling at babies but if you get on a busy road with Metallica or GNR blaring, the onset of road rage is imminent. Likewise, there are songs you just can't hear without getting sad, happy, nostalgic, etc.

I was once at a great barbecue where the juice was flowing & things were really hoppin, then someone put on Coldplay. Sorry to all you fans out there, I know those guys are HUGE & they're ok, but that's just not party music. Unless it's some sort of depressed orgy of mass suicide.

The thing that seperates rock from all other music is the abject stupidity of the lyrics. You can get away with saying anything in a rock song & it does not have to make sense at all. Okay, satan's holy spawn Clearchannel will surely edit your lyrics but censorship notwithstanding, anything goes in rock 'n roll.

As a tribute to all of the great r-n-r out there, I'm going to break down some lyrics for you. This will be an ongoing thing & I've got quite the list of impressive prose to go through. Thanks to pghguy, I hope to be able to add some of the songs into future posts so you can hear the craziness for yourself. But the world can't wait for me to brush up on my technical skills so we'll just start out the old-fashioned way for now.

Of course, I need your input here. There are many hidden gems in this category & I can't possibly know them all. Send me your ridiculous rock songs & we'll analyze them here.

4 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger H said...

HAHA~Everyone makes fun of me for my mixes, too! They say, "How do you find this stuff?"

 
At 5/23/2006 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you crazy

 
At 7/18/2006 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 
At 7/20/2006 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home