12/15/2006

Homage to Blinky

Here's some food for thought: Imagine that you encounter a strangely freakish animal, a mutant of some sort. Maybe a hermaphroditic cow/bull with 7 legs. What would run through your mind?

I think my thoughts would turn to the possible cause of the mutation. I'd wonder what dangerous pollutants or dire genetic abnormality might be responsible. Maybe I'd try to get a photo of it. But I definitely wouldn't accept a burger made from that cow. Would you?

A daring chap in Wisconsin does not share my reservations. The man ran over a young buck in his driveway. Being an avid deer hunter, he decided to take the carcass home for dinner. I can only imagine his surprise upon closer inspection, when he discovered that the buck had both male & female sex organs, as well as 3 extra stump legs similar to crab pinchers.

Incidentally, the story brought to mind good old Blinky, the 3 eyed fish caught in the river just outside the Springfield nuclear power plant.

"It was definitely a freak of nature." He's quoted as saying in a recent MSN article. "It kind of gives you the creeps when you look at it." He also described the deer as quite tasty.

Sorry, but I just couldn't eat the mutant. It would be interesting to see a follow-up story on this guy years from now. Will he have dolphin-like flippers or perhaps nub antlers of his own? One can only imagine.

I don't know what kind of environmental laws they have in Wisconsin, but I sure hope this kind of thing is stringently investigated. That seems unlikely, sine the evidence was promptly processed & consumed but I'd still like to think someone will try to figure it out.

3 Comments:

At 12/15/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Rob said...

That deer wasn't a mutant. It was simply the merging of two fertilized eggs. It happens in nature and it happens to humans. There was a Russian woman who had sex with two men, one white, one black. Two eggs were fertilized and merged, resulting in one person with a "swirl" coloring in the skin.

When the fertilized eggs have different sexes, you can wind up with an hermaphrodite. No biggie, and it shouldn't affect the meat in any way.

 
At 12/16/2006 10:38 AM, Blogger Steph said...

You make a good point & force me to admit that I completely ignored biology.

I still wouldn't have eaten it, but to be fair, I don't eat condiments either. I'm kind of picky.

 
At 12/18/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Hmmm, I tend to not think like a scientist...EVER. haha That said, if I'd seen a weird animal, I probably would've freaked and ran! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home